Sunday, June 25, 2017

Down & Out - The Sad Soul of The Black South

A long overdue repost ....

I am going to attempt finding some way to explain just how over the top, beyond great, this compilation is. I take some pride in being able to assemble some coherent and powerful compilations myself --- were this one of mine I would be struttin' with my chest puffed out for months! The songs flow, but they offer great variety, the theme is consistent...really well done! If THIS don't float ya' boat then you have clearly been hanging out in the wrong place.

A good part of what runs through this set has seen SOME sort of exposure here, but a surprising bunch is new to me and I'd suspect to y'all too. At the end of the day, this is a marvelous listen that you would be foolish to miss out on.

KC gives it 5 stars!

21 comments:

KingCake said...

I think I may have UNDERSOLD this one, DAMN IT IS GOOD!!!

lucky5 said...

Great music. I could not resist. Thank you, KC!!

pmac said...

Just listened to it this morning. HOLY CR@P!!! Man, this is an incredible album. Easily in the top 10 of albums posted here, KC. Many thanks.

Preslives said...

Yea, this one might be a bit too powerful to try to absorb in one sitting. Beware!

Pippo said...

This is the best ! great pick KC, that's like a well made delicious dish, top cuisine. Thanks KingCake.

fcapeau said...

Great Work ! Many thanks, KC.

fmules said...

Not big on compilations but I gotta check this out. Thanks KC.

ndhjazz said...

This is a really SOLID compilation. With all the buzz, I had to check it out, and I'm glad I did. Very earthy stuff, KC.

ceedee said...

Magnificent. Thank god for Geater, thank god for Bobby, thank god for them all. And the sharing too. And the Dicky Williams track - what a beauty, a great cheatin song. Hard to believe it's from 1986.

LPR said...

With such a write up, impossible to pass by. Many thanks!

RickB said...

Best of the best from KC, as usual! Wow!!!

Anonymous said...

God damn good!

Anonymous said...

really nice comp. well programmed and soulful as heck.
thanks, john

Jazzjet said...

I love great comps and this is definitely one. Great mix of well known names and relative obscurities. Thanks, KC.

KingCake said...

New rip of whole disc
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=9IVLL1HNR4
single track #8
https://mega.co.nz/#!6NQR2T5A!prcTJ8X62sBX9zrxd2Wij2LeSbQJJCLCaVDqoqB3Das

Jazzjet said...

Thanks for the new rip, KC.

davidwolfsonnc said...

Wow . . . this one is going on heavy rotation at the lair.

KingCake said...

http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/Eeg2LqEG/file.html

pmac said...

Many, many thanks!!!!

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Thanks so much for re-posting this! Like PMac, I may have lost the original post in an external hard drive crash. In my uninformed opinion, this compilation epitomizes what this blog is about and why I am so grateful that you keep on keeping on. Thanks, too, for posting the third volume of the Texas gospel set. It's great to see gospel showing up again so that the floorboards of my kitchen can shake as my computer speakers blare it at top volume.

Chris T said...

Great soul music, thanks a lot.

Post a Comment